This talk covers the motivation for human technological augmentation and reasons to go beyond biological life extension.
Slideshare online here
Video of Talk:
1. Biological Life-Extension is Not Enough Randal A. Koene Carboncopies.org
3. No one wants to live longer just to live longer. Motivation informs Method.
4. Having an Objective, a Goal, requires that you have some notion of success.
5. Creating (intelligent) machines that have thecapabilities we do not – is not as good as being able to experience them ourselves… Imagine… creating/playing music. Imagine… being the kayak.Imagine… perceiving the background radiation of the universe.
6. Is being out of the loop really your goal?
7. Near-term goals: Extended lives withoutexpanded minds are in conflict with creative development.
9. Gene survival is extremely dependent on an environment – it is unlikely to survive many changes.Worse… gene replication does not sustain that which we care most about!
10. Is CTGGAGTAC better than GTTGACTGAC?We are vessels for that game – but for the last10,000 years something has been happening!
11. Certain future experiences are desirable, othersare not – these are your perspectives, the memes you champion…Death keeps stealing our champions, our experts.
12. Too early to do uploading? – No! The big perspective is relevant now. We dont like myopic thinking in ourpoliticians, lets not be myopic about world issues ourselves.
14. Life-extension in biology may increase the fragility of our species & civilization… More people? – Resources. Less births? – Fewer novel perspectives. Expansion? – Environmental limitation.
15. Biological life-extension within the sameevolutionary niche = further specialization to the same performance “over-training” in conflict with generalization
16. Aubrey de Grey: Ultimately, desires “uploading”
18. Significant biological life-extension inincredibly difficult and beset by threats. Reality vs. popular perception.
19. Life-extension and Substrate-Independence are two different objectives
20. Developing out of a “catchment area” (S.Gildert) may demand iterations of exploration – and exploration involves risk.Hard-wired delusions and drives. What wouldan AGI do? Which types of AGI would exist in the long run?
21. “Uploading” is just one step of many – but anecessary step – for a truly advanced species
22. Thank You firstname.lastname@example.org 22